Thursday, March 22, 2012

New digs...

Me and Vera in the pool
After spending nearly two weeks at Vera´s beautiful house (and pool!) in the suburbs, last week I moved into an apartment in the city center. I´m one block off the main drag and a short walk to the downtown shopping area. The apartment was offered to me by one of the other English professors whose relative had just moved out. It worked out perfectly because the place came completely furnished (not the most modern choice of furnishings, but I can´t complain). I´m quite grateful for not having to buy anything, except a blender - a totally worthwhile investment.

My roommate is a 26-year old Brazilian girl who teaches English at one of the language centers here. She learned English while working in the U.S. for two years as an au pair in Westwood, MA, which is only 20 minutes from where I grew up. Talk about a coincidence! She works a lot and studies at a university outside of Londrina, so unfortunately we don´t see much of each other.

Here are a few snaps of the new place. We don´t have internet at home yet, which is why I´m behind in my blogging.
View from a window
View from another window

Where I keep my clothes

Where I sleep

Like I said, not exactly modern funiture, but it works!

Bárbara making rice
 My favorite part of the apartment might be the laundry area. Call me crazy. But after a year of washing my clothes mostly by hand and then having to wait three days for them to dry (in Cusco), I am SO PUMPED about our washing machine! I am even more excited about this neat-o drying rack that lowers from the ceiling. You hang up your wet clothes and then raise the rack so it´s out of the way. The best part is that the clothes dry in an hour or two! It´s amazing! Bárbara, my roommate, thinks I´m crazy and that the novelty of doing laundry will wear off after a few more times. We´ll see!






1 comment:

  1. I love it!! I remember being super excited about washing machines too. It's the simple things in life. Your apartment looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete