Sunday, April 1, 2012

JUMP!


I have a new hobby here in Brazil. A couple of weeks ago, I was exposed to the Brazilian phenomenon known as JUMP. What is JUMP, you ask? JUMP is an aerobics class found at most gyms here in Londrina. Each person in the class gets his or her own personal trampoline (ok yeah, HER own trampoline). Next, envision Richard Simmons-like aerobics moves, but while bouncing. It is truly a sight to behold. There was, of course, American club music playing at top volume as seems to be the preferred musical choice in most places in Londrina. Is it fun? Oh, yes. Did I feel ridiculous while doing it? Double yes. Is it challenging? Yes, particularly for coordination-challenged people like me. Is it a good work out? The next day I felt muscles in my calves that I never knew I had.  It’s no TBC at the Glover Park WSC with Cara Cain, but it’s a fun way to get the blood pumping.

That class made me reminisce about my last international gym experience. In Peru I took a “Full Body” class (why would they bother to call it something in Spanish anyway?) where the hardcore female firefighter instructor would scream “SIGUUUUUEEEEE!!!!” (Keep goiiinnnngggg!) at the top of her lungs as I frantically, spastically punched and kicked at the air, trying not to trip over the step in front of me. And I learned the hard way not to take an aerobic dance class with a bunch of Latinas. Not exactly a boost to the self esteem first thing in the morning.

Luckily, Brazil has JUMP. You have to watch this video to fully understand the JUMP experience. And picture me bouncing away on my trampoline, grinning like a fool.



1 comment:

  1. oh man this looks fun. next time you visit, we've discovered a trampoline park in everett. it's amaaaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete